Friday, June 1, 2012

(ARC) Review: My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick


Title: My Life Next Door
Author: Huntley Fitzpatrick
Date to be Published: 6/14/12


Synopsis:
A gorgeous debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another

“One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time.”

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A dreamy summer read, full of characters who stay with you long after the story is over.



My Rating:

My Review:
I was seriously blown away by this story. Samantha Reed's mother is the type of person who believes herself to be "above" certain others. Their next door neighbors are some of these people. I love the fact that while Samantha's mother complains about just about everything about the Garrett's in actuality its their own family that is the disaster. 

Jase is such an AMAZING male lead in this book. I love the world he opens up for Samantha. Not only has she watched his family ever since she can remember, but he has noticed she watched. Their friendship which blossoms into a genuine romance is great to watch unfold.

I completely fell in love with all of the characters of this story. The twist in this is a BIG one and you find yourself asking what you would do in that situation. 

Stand out Young Adult Novel. I highly recommend it! 

3 comments:

roxanne s. sukhan said...

Sounds like a good summer read ...

Special Needs Mom said...

I just finished the book. Read it in 2 days. It was such a good book.

My blog - http://bookbloggermom.blogspot.com

Sverige said...

It was really refreshing to read a book about smart, realistic teenagers who didn't sound like idiots when they talked and who had real problems to deal with. The issue of what makes a life happy and how family influences the hard decisions we all have to make at some point was beautifully discussed. The romance between the two main characters unfolded slowly and was the kind you wish you could have at that age. I loved the family dynamics in both families, too. No one was a cliche and everyone was believable. It's so rare in a YA book. This one was really special.

Post a Comment